What are Dental Crowns?
Crowns are typically made of either porcelain, zirconia or metal. The choice of material used depends on the location of the tooth in the mouth, your aesthetic needs and personal preference. Crowns can either be matched to the colour of your existing teeth or alternatively, a lighter shade can be chosen for a whiter and brighter smile.
Common Reasons for Getting Dental Crowns
- To strengthen a tooth that has been weakened by repeated fillings, chipping or cracks.
- After root canal treatment.
- To improve the shape and colour of a tooth or multiple teeth.
- As an abutment to support a dental bridge.
- As part of a dental implant restoration.
What is the Dental Crown Procedure Like?
- Preparing and shaping the tooth
- Impression of the prepared tooth
- Placement of a temporary crown
- Temporary crown is removed
- New crown is fitted